Saturday, July 24, 2010

Hi Everyone

Hi, My name is Lauren and whilst I am experiencing high amounts of frustration right now in learning how to set up a Blog, I am also grateful that I have been forced to do it.

I know technology is not something that is going to go away no matter how many times I swear at the computer and threaten that i will throw the monitor against a wall lol!! My friends and I have this theory that our generation (I was born early 80's) was on the cusp of being born with or without the technology gene... I missed out by a few days :)

I think this is what daunts me most as a future librarian, I honestly don't know where technology is going to take us. Will kids even have books in 30 years time or will all their books be downloaded onto an Ipad or Iwatch? Will librarians be working from inside an office spending day after day scanning in books for electronic display? I hope not.

A main reason why I want to be a teacher librarian is because I generally have a love for reading and yes I still enjoy reading kids books. I have been teaching since 2004 and have taught in the UK for 2 of those years and what surprises me is how excited kids get when they are being read to, or you allow the child to read to you. The enjoyment that comes from a book seems universal.

I am currently teaching a 4/5class till end of year and before that I was working in their library which is what inspired me to take this course on. However, whilst school librarians are vital I dont think that, in my experience, they are utilised very well by the staff. I include myself in this as I am so busy collecting and preparing my lessons I forget to approach the librarian. I hope that when I become a librarian I can work more closely with all members of the school and also develop programs that entice kids to want to come to the library, prehaps having a Harry Potter day where I read a chapter or a Paul Jennings week.

This post went on longer than I thought.
Good luck to everyone who is also endeavouring to brighten up kids lives through the magic of books.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren,

    I also have a similar story to you. I am working on a Year 2 class until the end of the year but began working in the school library beforehand, which motivated me to do my MedTL... Good luck with your studies, it is nice to read things that are so similar to what I have done/am going through!

    ReplyDelete